Selank, or heptapeptide with the sequence Thr-Lys-Pro-Arg-Pro-Gly-Pro, is a synthetic tufisin anlaog with many potentially advantageous properties.
Selank is closely related to another nootropic agent, Semax , developed by the Institute of Molecular Genetics in Russia. This substance is now available in Russian and Ukrainian pharmacies. Additionally, it is not on the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Prohibited Lists.
How does selank work?
Selank modulates the release of IL-6, and affects the concentration of T-type cytokines, regulates the metabolism of serotonin and other monoamine neurotransmitters, and increases the BDNF factor in the hippocampus.
Based on more than 20 years of research history on selanidewe can observe:
1) potential anxiolytic effect – In a study on 60 people with general anxiety disorder using selank during therapy, moderate nootropic effects and significant anxiolytic effects were noted. In addition, another study used selank to optimize the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder in people taking phenazepam (a strong benzodiazepine-type drug that should not be used without the knowledge of the referring physician) and compared its effect to a group that was treated only with phenazepam. In people who additionally used selank, there were significantly fewer side effects of phenazepam and the quality of life increased.
2) possible improvement in memory and learning speed – in a study on mice, Selank was shown to improve learning speed within 3 days. Additionally, the mice consuming selank showed fewer signs of stress and moved faster.
3) may help in the treatment of brain neurodegeneration – in a study on mice with impaired brain functioning by administering 6-hydroxydopamine (a neurotoxin that selectively affects the catecholaminergic system) during the first 3 days after birth. Selank restored cognitive functions to the brains of the mice it was administered to.
4) it can protect the liver – in a study on mice subjected to chronic stress, selank increased the activity of antioxidants in the liver and restored its proper functioning.
5)may improve memory – in studies on mice and monkeys, selank stabilized memory pathways within 30 days of starting use.
6) may strengthen immunity – in one study it increased the production of IL-6 in patients with depression, which may translate into better immunity, but in another, despite similar conclusions, it showed no improvement in the fight against viral infection.
7) May help in people with withdrawal syndrome – in a rat study in which they were given 10% ethanol as the sole source of water for 24 weeks, selank helped reduce the anxiety associated with alcohol withdrawal in rats within 48 hours of withdrawal.
How does it look in practice?
People using selank may feel more focused ,calmness (in the case of a stressful situation), clarity of thought , improved mood and, in a smaller number of cases, increased motivation to act.
Disclaimer : The article was written for informational purposes only based on the research below. The author is not responsible for the use of the content.
1 – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25176261/
2 – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ 14552529/3
5 – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20919548/
6 – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18577961/